North Carolina Insurance Commissioner Mike Causey will visit three minor league baseball stadiums across North Carolina this month to promote and bring greater public attention to the dangers of driving while distracted.
April is observed as Distracted Driving Awareness Month and Commissioner Causey is joining the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, other insurance commissioners and safety advocates across the nation to urge motorists to focus and keep distractions at bay when they get behind the wheel.
“Driving safely requires total concentration, and it is very important drivers never take their ‘eye off the ball’ when they are behind the wheel,” Commissioner Causey said. “North Carolina’s roads are very busy during the spring and summer, with families headed to the beach, park or out to the baseball games. We want all drivers to play it safe and avoid driving while distracted.”
Earlier this month, Commissioner Causey offered a few tips to help drivers avoid the pitfalls of distracted driving:
- Ask your teammates in the car with you to help you stay focused and avoid distracted driving.
- Select a passenger as your “designated texter” to send and receive texts for you.
- Set your navigation system and radio station preferences before you start driving. This will help you maintain your focus.
- Don’t scroll through apps or social media while driving. If you feel tempted to do so, you can set precautions such as turning your phone off, or putting it in the glove box, the back seat or trunk.
- Ask a ‘relief pitcher’ in the car to tend to the needs of children if the need arises.
The commissioner’s road trip begins Friday, April 14 at 7 p.m. in Fayetteville, and continues onto Greensboro and Winston-Salem later this month.
These appearances are being promoted and in coordination with the Independent Insurance Agents of North Carolina Inc.
Here is Commissioner Causey’s public schedule for Friday, April 14, and two other baseball first pitch appearances for Distracted Driver Awareness Month appearances:7 p.m., April 14 – Segra Stadium Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Railriders vs. Fayetteville Woodpeckers 460 Hay St., Fayetteville, N.C. 28301 6:30 p.m., April 22 – First National Bank Field Greenville Drive vs. Greensboro Grasshoppers 408 Bellemeade St. Greensboro, N.C. 27401 7 p.m., April 29 – Truist Stadium Hickory Crawdads vs. Winston-Salem Dash 951 Ballpark Way, Winston-Salem, N.C. 27101
For more tips on how to avoid distracted driving, visit www.ncdoi.gov/distracted-driving-awareness.