Long-Term Care Information
Unlike traditional health insurance, long-term care insurance is designed to cover long-term services and supports, including personal and custodial care in a variety of settings such as your home, a community organization, or other facility.
Long-term care insurance policies reimburse policyholders a daily amount (up to a pre-selected limit) for services to assist them with activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, or eating. You can select a range of care options and benefits that allow you to get the services you need, where you need them.
The cost of your long-term care policy is based on:
- How old you are when you buy the policy
- The maximum amount that a policy will pay per day
- The maximum number of days (years) that a policy will pay
- The maximum amount per day times the number of days determines the lifetime maximum amount that the policy will pay.
- Any optional benefits you choose, such as benefits that increase with inflation
If you are in poor health or already receiving long-term care services, you may not qualify for long-term care insurance as most individual policies require medical underwriting. In some cases, you may be able to buy a limited amount of coverage, or coverage at a higher "non-standard" rate. Some group policies do not require underwriting.
For more information about long-term care insurance, please see the Shoppers Guide to Long Term Care Insurance or call SHIIP toll-free at 1-855-408-1212 Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm.
Long-Term Care Partnership Insurance Policies in NC
The following companies sell LTCP product(s) in North Carolina. Contact the companies directly for information on enrollment, coverages, and premium costs.
- Bankers Life & Casualty - 1-800-621-3724
- Genworth Life Insurance Company - 1-800-456-7766
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company - 1-800-896-5988
- Northwestern Long-Term Care Insurance Company - 1-800-890-6704
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company - 1-866-855-1212
- Thrivent Financial – 1-800-847-4836
- Transamerica Life Insurance Company - 1-800-227-3740
- United of Omaha Life Insurance Company - 1-800-896-5988
a shoppers guide to ltc