Rate Information for North Carolina Consumers
Federal Health Care Reform in North Carolina
Many North Carolina consumers, insurance industry professionals, employers and Medicare beneficiaries have questions about federal health care reform, also known as the Affordable Care Act.
The information on this website is based on what the North Carolina Department of Insurance has learned from the federal government and is meant to provide a very broad overview of key features of the law. For the most complete and up-to-date information, please visit the federal website www.hhs.gov/healthcare.
2021 Plan Year Individual and Small Group Markets Initial Rates
2021 Plan Year Individual and Small Group Markets Final Rates
Rate Filings with Increase of 15 % or More
As an "Effective Rate Review State" under federal health care reform, the North Carolina Department of Insurance must make public the information contained in Parts I, II and III of the federal Rate Filing Justification for comprehensive health insurance rate filings with significant rate increases. The threshold for this requirement is 15%.
The information for filings that are subject to this disclosure may be accessed at "Find Rate Review Information about Your Insurer"
Click on "SEARCH ACA-COMPLIANT PRODUCTS" if you are searching for products where the plans are compliant with all ACA requirements.
Click on "SEARCH TRANSITIONAL PRODUCTS" if you are interested in plans that began coverage before 2014 or products provided to educational institutions of higher learning which cover students and their dependents, i.e., Student Products.
All Final Rate Filings
Additionally, the North Carolina Department of Insurance must make public the information contained in Parts I, II and III (as applicable) of the federal Rate Filing Justification for all FINAL ACA-compliant comprehensive health insurance rate filings.
Users will need to scroll to the bottom of the page under the "Data" section to access the information.
Consumers will find information relating to prior years’ filings at this same link.
For an explanation of the information contained in each Part, please refer to The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight - Rate Review Data
Provide Public Comment On Comprehensive Health Insurance Rate Filings
- How do I locate a list of ACA individual health insurance carriers participating in the individual health insurance Marketplace? See a list of ACA individual health insurance carriers
- How do I locate a list of ACA small employer group health insurance carriers? See a list of ACA small employer group health insurance carriers
- How do I find information about ACA-related Medicare issues? SHIIP can assist you with ACA related Medicare issues
- How do I locate information about Mental Health Parity? For more information about Mental Health Parity
- How do I request public information related to ACA? Contact LHInbox@ncdoi.gov
filings of 15 for posting on ncdoi web for py 2021