Before acting on a contractor’s offer for services, heed the following advice to avoid becoming a victim:
- Beware of contractor or roofing representatives going door-to-door after a disaster.
- Call your insurance agent or insurance company before signing a contract or paying for repairs. Don’t let the contractor work directly with your insurance company unless your agent gives approval.
- Work with only licensed and insured contractors.
- Get more than one estimate. Don’t be pushed into signing a contract right away.
- Get everything in writing. The cost and the type of work to be done, time schedule, guarantees, payment schedule and other expectations should be detailed.
- Require references and check them out.
- Ask to see the salesperson’s driver’s license. Write down the license number. Also take down his or her license plate number.
- Never sign a contract with blanks. Fraudulent contractors may enter unacceptable terms later.
- Never pay a contractor in full or sign a completion certificate until the work is completed.