The North Carolina motor vehicle law requires all motorcycle and motor scooter operators to purchase liability insurance for their vehicles. A valid insurance card must be kept with the motorcycle or scooter or carried by the operator at all times. In addition, the operator of any motorcycle is required to have a motorcycle endorsement shown on their driver’s license.

Coverages Available

Tab/Accordion Items

Liability coverage will pay for bodily injury and property damage for which any covered individual becomes legally responsible. The insurance policy must include at least $30,000 per person/$60,000 per accident for bodily injury liabilityto pay claims to those whom you cause death or injury. It must also include a minimum of $25,000 per occurrence property damage liability, which pays for vehicles or property damage for which you become legally liable.

Collision means physical damage to your covered vehicle caused by an impact with another vehicle or object. This coverage pays the lesser of the cost of repair or actual cash value (replacement cost less depreciation) of your vehicle. Other than Collision coverage handles damages arising from falling objects, fire, theft, hail, glass breakage, contact with animals, etc.

Uninsured Motorist (UM) Coverage will provide protection when an uninsured driver, who is at-fault, injures you or another covered individual. It also provides property damage coverage.

Medical Payments coverage pays for reasonable and necessary medical and funeral expenses due to an auto accident. The policy will pay up to the limits listed in the policy for each individual covered.

Individuals covered under this coverage include:

  • You or any family member while occupying any auto, or as a pedestrian when struck by a motor vehicle
  • Any other person while occupying your covered vehicle or any vehicle (private passenger auto or trailer) driven by you or a family member.