Become a SHIIP Volunteer
SHIIP is always looking for more volunteers. With the many decisions people with Medicare have to make, we can never have too many volunteers to assist the millions of beneficiaries in our state.
SHIIP volunteers help fellow senior citizens and individuals with disabilities in their community with questions regarding Medicare, Medicare supplements, Medicare claims processing, Medicare Advantage, Medicare prescription drug plans and long-term care insurance. Volunteers should:
- Not be, or have an immediate family member who is an active insurance salesperson.
- Complete a 13 hour on-line training certification course.
- Provide one-to-one counseling by appointment at counseling site or by telephone.
- Enter all counseling and outreach efforts into the federal STARS website.
- Keep all client information (medical and financial) confidential.
- Never recommend a specific insurance company or policy.
- Attend quarterly follow-up meetings.
To become a volunteer call your local SHIIP County office. You may download and complete the Volunteer Registration Form; however it must be submitted to your local SHIIP County Office. Please read the Volunteer Counselor Duties before you submit your completed Volunteer Registration Form.
For more information please see our SHIIP Volunteer Brochure.