Employer Group Health Plan Insurance

Employer Group Health Plan Insurance (EGHP)

Do you have retiree Employer Group Health Plan Insurance (EGHP) that will continue beyond your 65th birthday?

If your retiree employer group health insurance plan (EGHP) coverage includes prescription drug coverage that is as good as or better than Medicare Part D plan, you just need to enroll in Medicare Parts A and B prior to your 65th birthday. If your EGHP does not include prescription drug coverage, you will need to enroll in a Medicare Part D plan.

I have employer coverage

Even if you have coverage through a current or former employer, you still may need to make some important Medicare enrollment decisions.

It’s important to understand how your current coverage works with Medicare before making any decisions. If you have questions about your current insurance, the best source of information is your benefits administrator, insurer, or plan provider.

  • If you have access to TRICARE benefits, all you need is to enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B.
  • Certain federal employees who worked as civil servants or mail handlers do not need Medicare Part B. Check with your human resources representative to see if this applies to you (OPM).
  • If you have Railroad Retirement benefits, you should contact the Railroad Board.
  • If you have access to benefits through the Veterans Administration, you may not need any Medicare supplement or Medicare Part D insurance.
  • If you are retired and have access to the North Carolina State Health Plan, you need to enroll in Medicare Part A and Part B.
  • If you are still working for the state at age 65, you only need to enroll in Medicare Part A until you are ready to retire when you will enroll in Part B.

NC State Health Plan

If you are a member of the NC State Health Plan with Medicare, the links below provide information  and available options for coverage.