Despite being a late entrant, North Carolina has made a strong long-term commitment to the captive industry. As of 2019 North Carolina is the fourth largest U.S. domicile. From the Insurance Commissioner to the N.C. General Assembly to the North Carolina Captive Insurance Association, all are committed to making North Carolina a great home for captive insurance companies.
North Carolina is consistently named one of the best business climates in America. With our beautiful beaches, award-winning golf courses and serene mountains and valleys, we think you'll find the climate's just right for work and play.
Here are just a few of the reasons to make North Carolina the home for your captive insurance company.
Reasonable Regulation & Low Cost of Operation
- Reasonable capital requirements that take into consideration each insurer’s specific risk profile
- No NCDOI fees (except Special Purpose Financial Captive application fee)
- No mandatory NCDOI examinations (except Risk Retention Groups)
- Possible exemption from annual report requirements if the captive insurer is subject to the annual audit requirements
- Use of in-house analysts, examiners and actuaries
- No Insurance Commissioner "pre-approval" required for auditors or actuaries
- Competitive premium tax rates with a $100,000 premium tax cap ($200,000 cap for protected cell captive insurers with more than 10 cells.)
Quality Service Providers
- North Carolina offers a large selection of captive managers that are approved by the NCDOI to manage North Carolina licensed captive insurers.
- The state has a diverse selection of other industry service providers including actuaries, attorneys, auditors, investment managers, and brokers that provide services to North Carolina captive insurers.
Stable, Knowledgeable and Responsive Regulatory Team
- The knowledgeable and credentialed captive team is committed to customer service and have a pro-business regulatory approach. The NCDOI is focused on consistent, reasonable and appropriate regulation.
- The captive team is dedicated to being responsive to the needs of the captive industry in North Carolina and easily accessible via phone, email or in person.
- The Commissioner and captive team are dedicated to making North Carolina the best captive insurer domicile with a leading regulatory environment.
- Convenient central east coast location, with the nation's 6th largest airplane hub and 2nd largest highway system
- Diverse geography and moderate climate allowing for a variety of outdoor recreation activities stretching from the mountains to the beach
- Cultural offerings, rich history and variety of arts including everything from ballet and museums to festivals and symphonies
- College and professional sports including four universities in the Atlantic Coast Conference, NFL, NHL and NBA teams
- Nearly 50 motorsports racetracks featuring events such as the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Challenge and the Coca-Cola 600. Home to the NASCAR Hall of Fame.
- More than 600 golf courses, including the famous Pinehurst No. 2, host of the 2014 and 2024 U.S. Open Tournament
- Consistently ranked among the best business climates in the nation by Forbes, CNBC, Chief Executive and Site Selection