Foreign Risk Retention Groups
The registration of foreign risk retention groups in North Carolina is governed by the Risk Retention Act of 1986 and Chapter 58, Article 22 (Liability Risk Retention).
Filing a Registration Application
All foreign companies requesting registration as a risk retention group must:
- Submit a letter to the Department requesting registration.
- Submit the Application for Registration as a Risk Retention Group.
- Submit a copy of its Certificate of Authority from its state of domicile.
- Submit a copy of its Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.
- Submit a copy of its most recent annual and quarterly statements.
- Submit the Appointment of Attorney to Accept Service of Legal Process form.
Every foreign risk retention group that is registered in North Carolina must submit a renewal form by January 1 each year in order to retain registration. Renewal information can be found at the following link:
Domestic Risk Retention Groups
Information regarding licensing and filing requirements for domestic risk retention groups: