Earthquake Coverage

A home is usually a person’s biggest asset.  Earthquakes can happen in all 50 states and U.S. territories. Earthquakes can cause a great deal of damage that isn't covered under your Homeowner's, Renter's, or Condominium policy. However, some comprehensive Mobile Homeowner's policies do cover earth movement. 

Even though Homeowner's and Renter's policies typically do not cover losses caused by earthquakes, a direct loss by fire, explosion or theft resulting from earth movement is usually covered under the Homeowner's and Renter's policies. Dwelling policies often also provide coverage if fire or explosion ensues.

To best protect your home and belongings, it’s important to ask yourself if you have the right coverage and talk to your insurance agent or insurance company. Options for purchasing earthquake coverage, may be avalaible.

Earthquake Endorsements

While insurance for earthquake damage isn’t a part of your Homeowner's, Dwelling, Renters, or Condo policy, you may be able to add it by buying an endorsement (a written change to your coverage, that is added to your policy). An Earthquake endorsement can cover repairs needed because of earthquake damage to your dwelling and may cover other structures not attached to your house, like a garage or shed. It can also insure your personal property, the cost to remove debris and extra living expenses you may have while your home is being rebuilt or repaired.

While a MH (C) Mobile Homeowner's policy provides coverage for loss due to earthquakes, for an additional premium, an endorsement can be added to an MH (F) Mobile Homeowner's policy to provide coverage for loss due to earthquake to your dwelling, other structures, and personal property.  

Usually, an earthquake endorsement states one or more earthquake shocks that occur within a 72-hour period constitutes a single earthquake.  The endorsement does not increase the limits of liability stated in the homeowners or dwelling policy.  There may be exclusions on the endorsement such as flood, filling land and exterior masonry veneer, so it is important to review the coverage offered and talk with your agent.